So it has been a long time since I posted about our Kitchen update but we have finally made headway. The top cupboards are emptied ready to be ripped down and we made our breakfast bar come workstation! I’m so pleased with how it’s come out and I’m really enjoying playing with the display aspect of it.
One afternoon Dan came across this online post on Facebook marketplace for wooden scaffolding boards. I’m sure this never happens simply because in America they mostly use metal planks for their scaffolding, so I bit the mans arm off to get them! We got enough to do shelving and enough to make the unit.
I loved the metal edge pieces so we saved those boards for the shelving. I showed Mr Reynolds my inspiration pictures for the kitchen and together we came up with a design plan for the unit. We needed to incorporate the rubbish bins and a place for the microwave, since this was coming down from the wall.
Planning and design
I let him do the maths(!) but once it was all figured out, I left him to it, I was busy working, so the most I did was pick out a knob for the bin drawer and help construct it, in its final position!
Hardware and styling
Here it is, just after we constructed it. Notice the crochet placemats I made previously and the cookie jars from good old Homegoods. I got the jars to match the knobs I had picked out from Anthropologie for the cupboards. They are by Suzanne Sullivan, I recently followed her on Instagram and she has beautiful things.
The knob I used on the bin pull was also from Anthropologie but from a different range, but still ties in with the aesthetic.
I’ve since added cookery books and the microwave the end space. Dan very cleverly wired a plug in behind so all the wires are hidden too!
That’s it for the Kitchen update.
One final thing I got for the kitchen. This amazing vintage US Navy pitcher that I got for $15 from an antique store. I can’t wait to get the next part of the kitchen done. Then you can see what I do with this one.